This is a day set aside as recommended by the health department to educate people about head lice and how they are detected and controlled. It will be held on 31st October 2015, being an annual event. Bugs are usually spread in schools from one child to the other, mostly in developing countries. This doesn’t mean that the developed countries are exempted.
Purpose of National Bug Busting Day
The purpose of this day is to help clear the head lice completely from all the affected. During this day people are taught how to identify the head lice, the symptoms of head lice, the diagnosis and the treatment. Many pre-school pupils are involved whereby they participate by spraying the classrooms, dining halls and performing general cleaning to make sure they completely eliminate the head lice. Fundraising are made to help in purchase of treatment and prevention drugs and chemicals.
What Can You Do On National Bug Busting Day?
As an individual you are supposed to educate people on how to live without the head lice infection. Participate during spaying of head lice in schools. Donating pesticides used to spray and kill the eggs laid by the head lice. Mobilize friends and workmates to participate in one way or another since the head lice can invade anyone not necessarily the school children. You can assist distribute the booklets with all necessary information in relation to head lice elimination.
Message on National Bug Busting Day
Bug busting day deals with elimination of head lice which are small wingless blood sucking insects. They feed on blood which they suck through the scalp causing itching and endless scratching. They affect people who stay and live together as a community especially the school children, university and college students. Those who board in their institution happen to have sleepless nights since there are endless bites from the lice hiding in the mattress and blankets. The head lice is also common in vehicles whereby when an individual has the head lice and lean on a public vehicle sit they tend to live some head lice. They later multiply through the eggs laid.
Special Tips on National Bug Bursting Day
- During this day the school children and the community are taught the causes of Head lice which are very contagious. They can infect when sharing comb with an infected person also by letting your head touch the head of the infected persons head and sharing clothes with an infected person
- Head lice live in furniture and towels so it is advisable to spray furniture after purchase to prevent the spread. For the case of bedding, towel and other clothing, you should soak and clean them in hot water then dry heat them in a drier .Seal them in plastic bags for two weeks to prevent further spread
- For the case of hair accessories they should be soaked in hot water mixed with a detergent to kill all the eggs and lice. They are dried and stored in dry place already sprayed with the pesticide control chemicals.
- After all treatment cleaning and, you should avoid contact with other infected people till they are treated.Another way of preventing head lice is by avoiding sharing personal hygiene items such as combs.If possible you can also maintain short hair or a complete shave since the head lice will have no place to hide.
- To clear lice from the head you can apply olive oil before combing this will make the eggs and lice stick on the comb while combing. Repeating this procedure for one week there will be no lice present it the hair.
- To reduce re-occurrence of head lice it is always advised during the national bug bursting day that you should not use any medication more often than directed and avoid using more than one medication. You should follow all instructions necessary before using the medication or pesticide.
- Head lice are very common and can be found in one out of every ten kids. The symptoms of head lice include sores on the head, irritability and a tickling feeling and movement in the hair. They can be easily seen in the hair but hide so first and can’t be caught easily using bare hands.
Hygiene is emphasized so much during the national bug busting day. Many parents may ignore this aspect considering that they are already clean. The moment they realize their kid has head lice it will be too late since they have to spray the whole house, buy medications for everybody in the family since they must be infected. This is so expensive hence they are advised to take caution when alerted early. It is also wise to avoid sharing of combs no matter the situation since this is the main source of head lice.
Take Action: Support Consumer Health Digest by linking to this article from your website
Permalink to this article:
Embed article link: (Click to copy HTML code below):
Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use OK, cite ConsumerHealthDigest.com with clickable link.
Follow Consumer Health Digest onFacebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Google Plus